- According to the Armenian Church canons, a Baptism may only be performed once in a person’s lifetime, provided such Baptism has been performed in a Christian Church in the name of the Holy Trinity.
- One of the Godparents must be a member of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church.
- Both of the Godparents must be of Christian faith.
- If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Pastor.
- The fee payment should accompany this completed application.
On the Day of the Baptism
- Please arrive at the church no later than 15 minutes BEFORE the scheduled Baptism time.
- A white outfit is to be worn by the child after the Baptism and Chrismation
- A small gold cross on a chain, which will be worn by the newly-baptized child, should be provided by the Godfather.
- One or two large white towels must be brought with you to the church on the day of the Baptism.
- Since Holy Muron has been used to anoint the child, when the newly-baptized child is bathed for the first time after the Baptism, the bath water should be poured into a garden or like place rather than into a waste water system.
Birth is necessary to begin a life; baptism is necessary so that the child can start a “new life” as a child of God. This is not a conscious act of faith. God has already chosen us and entered our lives (Galatians 4:6). But it is through baptism that a new Christian is brought into the life of the Church and the hope of salvation. Thus it is an act of the people of God and not a single individual. The Armenian understanding of baptism draws upon the evidence of Scripture and Tradition to baptize infants — who are pledged to a life in Christ by godparents and community — as well as adults. Individuals who have not been baptized are always warmly invited by the church to do so.
Baptism, Chrismation, and Holy Communion are all given at the time of baptism. Together these make the new believer ready to fully participate in the life of the Church.
In the process of growing up, the child needs strength of body and mind. Chrismation, or the anointing with oil at baptism, seals him or her with the Holy Spirit, promising spiritual strength as a member of the Church
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the pastor at 617-923-8860.