Giving at St. James
Make a difference by supporting our ministry.
Donors like you generously support our St. James Church community and our ministries through voluntary contributions year-round. There are many ways parishioners and friends are helping sustain our operating budget but the primary ways are through annual membership and stewardship.
“Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.” 1 Corinthians 12:27
The stewardship mission at St. James is to help all parishioners live generously and thankfully, to understand the transformative power of Christian giving, and to use our time, talents and treasure to bless God and pursue his kingdom here on earth.
Gifts are generally made from four sources:
- Disposable income
- Appreciated assets (securities, annuities, real estate, etc.).
Some individuals find it convenient (and advantageous for tax purposes) to directly contribute shares of stocks or mutual funds, where St. James receives the full market value of your securities.
- Estate giving usually in the form of a future gift as a bequest in a will where St. James is named as the beneficiary.
- Life insurance policy where St. James is named as the beneficiary.
Gifts can be made in three ways:
- Donation to the Endowed Permanent Fund in the form of:
- Purchase of a Perpetual Memorial Plaque. $1,000 gifts can be made in memory of a loved one and will be recognized by an engraved plaque in the foyer of the St. James Church on both sides of the entrance to the Sanctuary. Each 2×10 inch plaque bears the name of the departed loved one being memorialized in both Armenian and English and is also inscribed with the years of birth and passing.
- In-kind donation of real estate, stocks, bonds, life insurance policies or other assets.
An Endowed Permanent Fund is established by a parishioner whereby the principal of the fund remains intact while the interest may be used for the benefit of St. James. A named bequest or memorial fund can be established for a minimum donation of $5,000.
- Donation for a Specific Purpose (restricted) such as underwriting:
- Repairs to a Church building
- Church programs or services
- Special Events like the Annual Bazaar, Picnic, St. James Name Day Banquet.
- Donations for the General Operating Fund are accepted in memory of a loved one in the form of:
- 40-day Memorial Service of the deceased
- Altar flowers, altar candles, Sunday coffee hours
- In Lieu of Flowers during funeral services
- Feast Days (blessing grapes, basil, madagh for April 24)
For more information regarding the Perpetual Memorial Plaques, please contact Haig Deranian at (617) 489-9465 or firstname.lastname@example.org and for all other questions about the types of donations please call the Church office (617) 923-8860.